For most people, depression is a very interesting subject. But for some, those who are suffering from this behavioral disorder are having a hard time coping up with it. Having a depression is a very difficult situation. Actually, if you have it, you are not conscious about it. You just feel it and people will just observe and realize that you have it. There are different symptoms and types of depression. One of the most common types is the Atypical Depression, which is a chronic long-standing type of depression. Be observant, most of the people who have this kind of disorder starts during their high school years.
What is It?
Aside from being sad, a number of symptoms are very particular with this kind of depression. Gaining a lot of weight, feeling that your arms and legs are heavy, oversleeping and increased appetite are some of the symptoms. This makes it different from the other types of depression.
What are the Symptoms?
Here’s a list of the specific symptoms and if you have observed at least five of them, you are surely suffering from it:
- Suicide: (If you are having thoughts about having a suicide or dying, most especially if you are already planning or attempting to do it)
- Ability to focus: (If you have problems in concentrating or making decisions.)
- Hopelessness: (If you are feeling down almost always and you think and feel that it is the end of the world, or extreme guilt that occurs every day.
- Fatigue: (If you feel like you do not want to do anything. You just sit or lie on the bed for hours doing nothing because of exhaustion.)
- Restless: (If people have observed your overtiredness for a couple of days or weeks.)
- Sleep: (It is either you are sleeping too long or you can’t sleep.)
- Weight: (Either you are gaining too much or losing too much weight)
- Sense of Happiness: (If you feel like you do not enjoy the things you usually get pleasure from)
- Sadness: (If you are feeling gloomy and miserable every day)
What are the Causes?
Both the environment and personal experience contribute to having this kind of depression. Here are the possible reasons why people suffer from this.
- Being neglected by friends or family
- Physical or sexual abuse
- Drug and alcohol abuse
- Major Diseases like HIV, Cancer, Stroke and Heart disease
- Major life events like graduating or losing a job
- Depression from previous generations
- Loss, Death or Separation.
- Feeling guilty or hopeless
How Can You Manage this Type of Depression
Doctors and psychologists prefer conversation therapy. This involves an everyday talk with the patient addressing his or her problems. Other medical findings show that a couple of medication is prescribed to the patient to help regulate their mood. However, these things will only work if the patient is willing to change and undergo the said procedures.
There are a lot of things you can do to cure this type of depression with atypical features. This information definitely helped you with answering your questions. Do not fear. You can always seek help from the experts.